Now that Dr. Michael Cox has given you a beautiful smile and a healthy bite, wearing retainers is one of the most important phases of your orthodontic treatment. When your braces are removed, your teeth have a tendency to want to return to their original positions. Patients are typically given an upper removable retainer and a lower fixed retainer. The upper retainer is worn full time for the first few months, and then patients go to nighttime wear. Dr. Cox has 4 locations conveniently located in Summerville, North Charleston, Goose Creek and Walterboro, SC.
Customize To Fit Your Personality
Our office understands that you’re unique and we feel that your retainer should show this. We have different colors for you to choose from so you can find the retainer that reflects your personality best!
A little more information on retainers or retention…
- Retainers “retain” or hold the teeth in the desired position achieved with braces.
- All retainers are not the same, Dr. Cox mostly uses a bonded, permanent retainer on the lower teeth, the upper teeth however are held in place with a clear plastic retainer that is custom molded to your teeth. We also use traditional acrylic and wire appliances on the upper teeth.
- Retains MUST be worn regularly to prevent teeth from moving back to their original position.
Caring For Your Retainers
- Keep your retainers in a cool, dry place when not in your mouth.
- NEVER wrap them in Kleenex or a napkin, it is likely you will lose them or throw them in the trash.
- Watch out for pets! They love to eat retainers!
- ALWAYS remove your appliance to eat, drink, and brush your teeth before placing them back in your mouth
- Keep them out of sunlight or heat, as they can become warped.
- Rinse your retainers in cool water and brush them with a toothbrush and toothpaste to keep them as clean as possible.
- NEVER soak retainers in mouthwash or peroxide, and never expose them to hot water.
- For bonded retainers, make sure to brush around it and use a floss threader or super floss to maintain access in between those teeth.
Lost or Broken Retainers
If there is ever a question of how the retainer is fitting or if you suspect that it is lost or broken. Dr. Cox recommends that you call one of our offices immediately. We will need to make an appointment to replace or repair you retainer(s) and if lost, if possible, locate the retainer and bring it with you. If it is broken bring all of the pieces in, since it may be able to be repaired. In some cases adjustments can be made at the same appointment. Acting quickly can prevent any shifting and help you maintain a beautiful smile. A replacement or repair fee may apply.
Dr. Cox is a premier orthodontic specialist, offering children, teens, and adults in Summerville, Charleston, Goose Creek and the Walterboro area with advanced oral care. Feel free to call one of our locations with any questions you may have on retainers or orthodontics treatment.